Traveling with a Baby

Thursday, February 2, 2012
Recently, I traveled alone from California to Florida with my newborn son. And let me tell you, for never having traveled with a child before, traveling with a baby can seem like such a daunting task. Memories came flooding back to me of screaming children on airplanes, seeing parents struggle with more stuff than they could handle, and watching as eyes peered upon them reading, "I hope you're not sitting next to me...". I hoped this would not be my experience. As it turns out, it truly wasn't.

For starters, I give a lot of credit to my 4 month old son who was an absolute angel during the entire experience. He didn't make a peep during the entire process of checking in at 5a.m., going through security, or taking off and landing. He was smiles all the way, charming people in every direction with his cute grin and chubby cheeks. He was and is fantastic.

I also have to give credit to fellow travelers. So many people offered to help me and I readily took them up on it. It really restored my faith that mankind can be selfless and generous. One lady helped me fold my stroller and put it on the scanning belt, while a pilot at one layover carried my stroller and diaper bag for me as I got on the plane. Another lady rolled and stowed my carry on for me so I wouldn't have to. And these are only a few examples of the acts of kindness shown to me.

After this experience, I really learned that it's okay to ask for help as a parent and not to judge an experience before I have it for myself. Sometimes we as parents (especially Mom's) want to be able to do it all. But I think we have to remind ourselves that being a great Mom means admitting we can't do everything and teaching our children it's okay to ask for help and accept it when it's offered. Thank you to everyone who was so kind to me!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Get Notifications