Dr. Pepper Ran Through My Veins - Laura Sosa: Fit Mom, Fit House

Dr. Pepper Ran Through My Veins

Water just wasn't cutting it. It didn't have flavor, sugar, or any pizazz. It was dull. Bland. Overrated. As long as I drank SOMETHING it could be whatever I wanted it to be, right? Drinking a liquid meant I was hydrating myself, right? WRONG.

Before I started to explore clean eating and being a healthier version of myself, I was pretty unhealthy. I ate out a lot, I had tons of processed food in my house, and I bought all the "low-fat" and "fat-free" versions of everything.

F.Y.I. in case you're wondering about that, low-fat and fat-free are usually NOT healthier versions of foods, but just as bad. C'mon, low-fat Cheez-it's aren't real.

I drank a lot of soda too. Like, a lot. From about 11am until the end of my waitressing shift at the end of the night (I worked doubles 3 times a week), I could crush Dr. Pepper like no-one's business. Occasionally I would drink that bland water, but most of the time it was my love; my sugar; my Dr. Pepper. It gave me energy and tasted GREAT, so why not drink it all day? What was the problem?

Little did I know, I was dehydrating myself. I was also probably spiking my insulin levels which was causing me to have that crashing feeling throughout the day, everyday. I was doing damage to my body and so incredibly naive to it. I was drinking my life away.


In my transformation stories I have shared in the past, I often talk about how I was always SO tired. I was very lethargic and never wanted to do anything. I often feel like I wasted so much time in my early twenties doing nothing - and it was all because of how I was fueling (or NOT fueling) my body. I would tell myself, well soda has caffine so it will help me wake up. It would, for a very short amount of time and then I would feel awful again. And I would often times pair that soda with chips, Cheez-its, pizza, fast food, Mexican restaurant food, Panda Express, etc. and then finish off my meal with some kind of dessert.

I look back now and think, NO WONDER I felt so awful. I re-evaluate my old diet and am blown away at how horrible it was. I thought I was doing so good and if I had really, truly taken the time to sit down and look at what I was eating on a regular basis I would have realized how horribly I was treating myself.
Now I love water. I drink it as much as I can remember too (still working on it but WAY better than I have ever been)! I don't find it bland or tasteless. I find it refreshing and revitalizing. If I'm feeling tired, I now know it's because I probably haven't drank enough water and pour myself a glass. I know if I drink coffee, I need to follow it with water. If I'm hot or working out, you guessed it! H2O.

I can't drink soda. I have had the itch for a cola a time or two recently and every time I get one I end up throwing it away because it's just SO sweet I can't take it. It makes my stomach upset and gives me a headache. I view this as a GOOD thing though. I don't want to think that soda makes me feel good - if I drink it I want it to remind me that it tastes horrible and makes me feel awful.

I want to listen to my body.

I want to do good by my body.

My body is the only place I have to live.

I want to live somewhere I love and take good care of it.

I love my body now and care for it like it's the most precious thing to me - because it is. Without my body, I cannot be me. I cannot care for my amazing children the way I want to. I cannot be the wife I want to be. I cannot reach all of my goals and achieve all of my dreams when I don't take care of me.

Take care of you!



No comments

Back to Top